Director of Business Development (FT, remote)
Background on the Position
SideXSide Studios is in search of a Director of Business Development to help expand and transform the commercial side of our studio.
Since its founding eight years ago, SideXSide Studios has grown from a two-person operation focused on nonfiction production to a documentary and creative video agency with a global reach. Our list of clients include fortune 500 companies, leading nonprofits, and the premiere museum design firm.
We are now at a critical juncture teeming with possibility. At the same time our industry is experiencing yet another period of upheaval. New technology and the shifting distribution landscape present unique challenges and opportunities.
We see the Director of Business Development as key to the next chapter of SideXSide’s growth.
The position will have three distinct lanes of work of equal importance:
- Business Development: Develop new commercial business, helping to secure new clients and sell larger production budgets.
- Client Retention: The core of our business comes from years-long relationships with clients. This position will maintain these valued relationships by demonstrating the ROI of our work and acting as a strategic problem solver.
- Strategy & Capacity Building: Conceive of and target new business avenues, and plan and expand our team’s capacity. This could be through additional hires, new technology, or forming strategic partnerships with vendors.
This person will work directly with founders Gabe Silverman and Jamie Coughlin Silverman. They will not have any direct management responsibilities, but will collaborate with the Creative Director and Lead Producer on pitch creation and client relationship management.
While the company is based in Takoma Park, MD, this position is remote, with a preference for East Coast based applicants. Some travel should be expected.
Desired start date: December 1st
The successful candidate will have:
- 5+ years of relevant experience. We’ll consider applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds. However preference will be given to those with direct agency or production company experience
- a proven track record of sales and client management
- a keen understanding of how new technology and distribution models are changing our industry and impacting clients
- experience making content for both broadcast and digital distribution channels
the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- strong written and verbal communication
- familiarity with project management and sales tracking software
- the ability to work within the Google suite ecosystem, including Google Sheets
- a bachelor’s degree
- Base salary starting at $90,000-$100,000, plus commission based on revenue growth (expected minimum commission in the first year: $20,000; commission goal in the first year: $50,000+)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401K plan with matching contributions
- PTO plus 15 company holidays
- Parental leave
- Short-term disability
SideXSide Studios is a film and creative video production company that makes original and commissioned content that uplifts, inspires, and gives human context to the most important issues of our time.
Founded and led by award-winning journalists, our roots grew out of the top newsrooms in America. That story-finding, human-connecting, make-it-happen-any-way-you-can reporter’s tenacity is our backbone. But we needed to stretch our creative legs and find new ways to tell stories – tell them deeper, tell them bolder, and with a clear perspective.
We care deeply about creating strong and trusting relationships – with each other, with our partners, and with our subjects. It’s so central to our identity, it’s in our name.
We believe in keeping this great world spinning forward. SideXSide is a woman-owned small business committed to promoting and fostering gender equality and diversity in film and media.
The successful candidate will share our values, and champion the same ideals as they work to expand what SideXSide can do.